cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VXLAN

Siddique
Level 1
Level 1

Asper I know VXLAN can be configured in 2 mode.

1. Bridging mode. ( In to the same broadcast domain or in to the same subnet ) 

2. Routing mode.  ( Different subnet and different broadcast domain). 

Bridging mode configuration no required to multicast.

Multicast and evpn required if vtep's are in different subnet.  

My question is  above concept is right? 

If wrong please explain.  

Thanks.  

5 Replies 5

Hi

I think is not right as it suggest that we have two kinds of vxlan while we dont. Vxlan is layer 2 protocol carried over layer 3 protocol.

Every node configured with a VTEP for a VXLAN with certain VNI will join the same multicast group.

Source: https://blogs.cisco.com/perspectives/a-summary-of-cisco-vxlan-control-planes-multicast-unicast-mp-bgp-evpn-2 

VXLAN2-550x413.png

(1) Lets say SRV-A want to talk to SRV-B. SRV-A will generate an ARP request trying to discover SRV-B Mac Address.
(2) When the ARP request arrives to SW1 it will lookup its local table and if an entry is not found, it will encapsulate the ARP request over VXLAN and send it over the Multicast group configured for the specific VNI.
(3) The multicast RP receive the packet and it will forward a copy to every VTEP that has joined the multicast group.

Hello,

I am not really sure I understand what you are asking to be honest. Are you asking about the differences berween VXLAN Bridging and VXLAN Routing ?

Brother my question is what is role of multicast in VXLAN? 

- FYI : https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2013/05/vxlan-series-multicast-usage-in-vxlan-part-3.html#:~:text=It%20can%20use%20unicast%2C%20broadcast,packet%20from%20the%20logical%20network.&text=Let's%20take%20a%20look%20in,VTEP%20and%20the%20physical%20networ....

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thank you dear #marce 1000.