cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP150 does not appear to update firmware

larryp25901
Level 1
Level 1

We have a WAP150 which only has about 15 devices connected plus the router. 5 of the devices are scheduled to reboot every morning at 1am. This morning when the devices came back on, the AP went into some mode showing watchdog timeouts every few minutes in the log (a search shows others hitting this but no solutions). The AP shows it is at firmware revision 1.1.0.9 and I see the latest is 1.1.2.4, so I downloaded the latest to my laptop PC and attempt to update firmware via HTTP/HTTPS (simply browsed for the tar file in my downloads directory and then clicked the upgrade button).  The AP says it is updating and it seems to reboot, but when it comes back, both the active and inactive firmware versions still show 1.1.0.9. The network was still running really, really slow (ping round trips measured in seconds - not milliseconds). I then clicked the button to swap active image on the AP which rebooted the AP again, but still shows 1.1.0.9 for both active and inactive images. The network performance picked back up (for now). But I would still like to know why the update didn't seem to work and what I need to do to update (or am I better off not updating if the latest is not a good level). I would also like to understand the slow-down and if the watchdog timeouts are associated - hopefully there is a remedy.

Hopefully I posted this to an appropriate board - none of the choices appeared to be a real good fit...

2 Replies 2

larryp25901
Level 1
Level 1

Oops!  I think I refreshed the page after 20 minutes or so (read the fine print, right?). I didn't really expect it to take close to an hour (the router side is hardwired and performing well).  Hopefully the upgrade is completing this time - there seemed to be some sort of "phone home" login to Cisco and now it is just sitting there some more with a spinner for the last 20 minutes or so saying "Loading data now, please wait...".  Clients seem to be communicating fine so hopefully this finishes some time.  If it is reloading it's configuration, I probably could have done that quicker by hand! How many hours can I expect the AP to be hung on this screen?

larryp25901
Level 1
Level 1

So, after almost a day with the "Loading data now, please wait...", I figure it can't possibly be taking that long for the AP to come alive.  I tried refreshing, closing the browser and re-opening, etc. Finally I tried with Chrome instead of FireFox and now it still displays that message, but only for a few seconds on each screen. Back to FireFox, I figure one more chance: private window... it does come up - although very slow, but at least it comes all the way up and can be used.  Now I just have to learn the new layout which, BTW, does look nicer... kind of... but definitely slower.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: