cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

why i shouldn't always use full duplex

rubingerser
Level 1
Level 1

if the other side supports it ?or does it better to leave it on auto negotiation and let the server and the server deside (not including jumbo frames )?

and should i use  auto negotiation on switch (switch for server ) or should i configure manully important ports?

2 Replies 2

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

There are pro and cons. 

A connection that is fixed on both sides, so no negociation of any kind, is up faster than a negociated port.

If a port dies and all you need to use another port, you probably will have to configure the new port. If ports are in auto, and all on the same vlan, then you can just repatch.

I prefer the fixed scenario, but I've heard of scenarios with cisco connected to cisco where only auto-auto worked as expected.

Cheers,

Michel

This is a pretty common debate .  To me, it really boils down to management practices and how big your network staff is as well as their patience level with tedious troubleshooting tasks.  We found that trying to hard set devices just lead to troubleshooting network issues later when server admins or techs didn't remember to set matching duplex/speed settings.  You don't really loose anything you are going to miss as far as speed by setting everything to auto where you can.  You are going to inevitably find circumstances when you HAVE to hard set them, but it's my opinion that should always be avoided when possible. 

My vote is for auto neg.

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card