Views
Helpful
Replies

5505 as DHCP server for hosts connecting to a WiFi access point

loonighan
Level 1
Level 1

From guidelines and limitations on configuring DHCP:

• DHCP clients must be directly connected to the ASA and cannot send requests through another relay agent or a router.

If I want to connect a number of hosts through a WiFi access point, is this access point considered a relay agent?

Is it better to enable the access point as a DHCP server and let it assign IPs in a range or mapped to MACs?

2 Replies 2

If the access point is a wireless bridge you don't have problem.

Wireless bridge means that the wireless clients will be on the same layer 2 segment of the ASA so they will have the same IP addresses of the ASA network.

If the access point will be NAT, you could have problems.
In this case you can check if the access point support 'ip dhcp helper address' features in order to forward dhcp requests to the ASA shcp server.

In my opinion is better have a single DHCP server to avoid problem with duplicate IP, ecc.

Regards.

Hi Daniele,

Thanks for your reply. I hadn´t contemplated that approach.

In fact my ASA implements an IPsec site to site VPN.

All hosts in the inside have static  IPs, therefore  dhcp is disabled in the ASA.

Furthermore my WiFi hosts need a fixed  IP, not simple if they are DHCP clients, UNLESS the access point implements a MAC to IP mapping.

The ASA features no such mapping.

BR.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card