cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5505 - use ports as switchport?

adrianhenderson
Level 1
Level 1

I just installed an 5505 with a base licence.  They had a spam appliance configured years ago with an IP from the same block they have, so its accessible externally.  Right now to get this to work, i have to have a switch that the cable modem, ASA, and appliance plug in to.  Given the base licence, is there any way to configure a port on the ASA to 'pass' traffic' from the appliance to the WAN port and then inside without a DMZ, since I can't configure one?  Otherwise I guess its time to bring it inside the firewall!

3 Replies 3

Hi,

The ports on the ASA 5505 are switch ports.

So, they are layer 2 ports that are assigned to an interface VLAN to belong to a subnet.

With a base license you can have two fully operational interfaces (outside and inside) and you can assign the ports to any of those VLANs.

The outside interface and inside interface will be configured as interface VLANs (layer 3 interfaces).

If traffic comes into a port on the ASA, the ASA can either switch it back to another port on the same VLAN or route it to another port on the other VLAN.

Federico.

Any guides on this you are aware of? I was playing around with some settings like assigning another port the same interface and anbling traffic to flow from one interface to another of the same security level but it kept throwing an error.

HI,

Here is the configuration guide for the ASA 5505

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/int5505.html

you can assiign two interface in the same VLAN, however there are some restrictions if you have base license. Please follow the above guide, and get back if you have any queries.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card