Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6.6.1 to 6.7 Upgrade Stuck

Hello All,

So yeah, here is what the log is showing and it's been almost 24 hours, TAC is still investigating and this sucks. Any ideas and how can I stop/fix this. I'll update my post here as soon as I find a solution but I would like to see if anyone else ran into this and what are they going through. 

root@fmc:~# cat /var/log/sf/Cisco_Firepower_Mgmt_Center_Upgrade-6.7.0/status.log
state:running
ui:Upgrade has begun.
ui:[ 0%] [39 mins to go for reboot] Running script 000_start/000_00_run_cli_kick_start.sh...
ui:[ 1%] [38 mins to go for reboot] Running script 000_start/000_0_check_user_agent.pl...
ui:[ 1%] [38 mins to go for reboot] Running script 000_start/000_0_minimum_28GB_RAM_NEEDED.sh...
ui:[ 2%] [38 mins to go for reboot] Running script 000_start/000_0_start_upgrade_status_api_stack.sh...
ui:[ 2%] [38 mins to go for reboot] Running script 000_start/000_check_platform_support.sh...
ui:[ 2%] [38 mins to go for reboot] Running script 000_start/000_check_sign_type.sh...
ui:[ 3%] [37 mins to go for reboot] Running script 000_start/000_check_update.sh...
ui:[ 3%] [37 mins to go for reboot] Running script 000_start/100_start_messages.sh...
ui:[ 4%] [37 mins to go for reboot] Running script 000_start/101_run_pruning.pl...
root@fmc:~#

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So I ended up finding out that the install wasn't even in progress anymore and since I didn't have GUI access, I forced the update again via CLI and it completed successfully. Here were my steps to fix my issue. Mark as "Helpful".

Check if  the Install is actually running:

ps aux | grep -i install

- if the install is still running and has been stuck, you can "kill" the process.

When FMC is running an Update/Upgrade, it will add a lock-file in the system. If the lock file is not there, then the update is definitely not running:

cd /tmp/

ls -la | grep -i lock

Before you force an Update/Upgrade, make sure it's installed on FMC. The file should be place here:

ls -la /var/sf/updates/

By checking with the commands above, you can confirm that the Update/Upgrade is not running. Now you can restart the Upgrade.

install_update.pl --detach /var/sf/updates/Cisco_Firepower_Mgmt_Center_Upgrade-6.7.0-65.sh.REL.tar --force

Once you force the Update/Upgrade from the CLI, immediately check if the "update.status" log has populated.

cd /var/log/sf

ls -la | grep -i update

tail -f /var/log/sf/update.status

To see a live log of Update:

tail -f /var/log/sf/Cisco_Firepower_Mgmt_Center_Upgrade-6.7.0/status.log

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

So I ended up finding out that the install wasn't even in progress anymore and since I didn't have GUI access, I forced the update again via CLI and it completed successfully. Here were my steps to fix my issue. Mark as "Helpful".

Check if  the Install is actually running:

ps aux | grep -i install

- if the install is still running and has been stuck, you can "kill" the process.

When FMC is running an Update/Upgrade, it will add a lock-file in the system. If the lock file is not there, then the update is definitely not running:

cd /tmp/

ls -la | grep -i lock

Before you force an Update/Upgrade, make sure it's installed on FMC. The file should be place here:

ls -la /var/sf/updates/

By checking with the commands above, you can confirm that the Update/Upgrade is not running. Now you can restart the Upgrade.

install_update.pl --detach /var/sf/updates/Cisco_Firepower_Mgmt_Center_Upgrade-6.7.0-65.sh.REL.tar --force

Once you force the Update/Upgrade from the CLI, immediately check if the "update.status" log has populated.

cd /var/log/sf

ls -la | grep -i update

tail -f /var/log/sf/update.status

To see a live log of Update:

tail -f /var/log/sf/Cisco_Firepower_Mgmt_Center_Upgrade-6.7.0/status.log

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card