Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1x on Cisco ASA 5516

MohammadKayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have switched configured with 802.1x to run as authenticator.

In one of the ports I would like to add Cisco ASA as supplicant and keep 802.1x enabled.

So the question is , can I add a username and password on the ASA so it will authenticate itself with the switch ? if no what is the best replacement for such approach ? - (I am thinking of port security for the MAC address).

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i would not advise that approach that is not best practice, rather i suggest remove those ports connected to ASA normal Access port or Por-channel with oput any .1X kind of stuff.

ASA itself is a security device so that security can be take care, and this is not access port where user can plug any device, these devices are located in secure area, where it was protected from other users.

if you like you can do sticky for that ports - but not required my point of view.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi,
No the ASA doesn't support 802.1x. Port Security and 802.1x is not supported together (not enabled on the same interface at least).

What RADIUS server are you using? If ISE you could configure MAB, to limit authentication of that interface to the ASA's MAC address.

HTH

Thank you for your replay.

I am thinking of port security as a replacement of 802.1x in case its not supported as Plan b.
yes I do have ISE .

Whilst you can configure MAB or Port security, I've never seen this done on core infrastructure devices such as the firewall. Plugging the ASA into a port that could potentially err-disable or rely on a RADIUS server to be authenticated, could potentially lead to an outage.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i would not advise that approach that is not best practice, rather i suggest remove those ports connected to ASA normal Access port or Por-channel with oput any .1X kind of stuff.

ASA itself is a security device so that security can be take care, and this is not access port where user can plug any device, these devices are located in secure area, where it was protected from other users.

if you like you can do sticky for that ports - but not required my point of view.

BB

Thank you for the replay.

- But as mentioned .1x is not supported on the ASA at the first place , actually there is a distance between the ASA and the switches due to that I am looking for a method to make sure my traffic will be secured ( I have critical devices behind the switches ) , I might go VPN tunnel and have one Firewall next to the switch and another one in my main site.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes VPN is the Good option, or if switches support you can do MACSEC switch to switch Layer 2

BB

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card