cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accessing Microsoft Exchange via Outlook through Pix

brew27
Level 1
Level 1

I have an executive who requires accessing Microsoft Exchange via Microsoft Outlook 2002 from inside our site. I cannot get this to work. Can anyone give me a step by step on what to open on the firewall to allow for authentication and data transfer between Outlook and Exchange?

Remember, Exchange is on a remote site and Outlook is inside our Cisco Pix.

Thanks for any help!

6 Replies 6

jdepies
Level 1
Level 1

Unless you have denied certain outbound access on your PIX, there is nothing that will be stopping the RPC connection between the outlook client (inside the PIX) to the Exchange server (outside the PIX).

I would check to make sure that whatever is protecting the Exchange server is not filtering out RPC connections.

Hope this helps

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for your suggestion. The Exchange server can be accessed from anywhere except from within our network.

Our Pix was set up by consultants before I began working here, so I don't know as much about it as I should, but going through the manual didn't help me solve the problem.

Should I try opening the sunrpc?

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

Do you control the remote site? It sounds like they have their exchange server properly firewalled. Allowing outlook access to an exchange server across the internet is a horribly insecure setup

Actually, I do control it. And I had Outlook blocked until instructed to open it. But we cannot even get in via Outlook Web Access either which should work. So, I am fairly certain it has something to do with the Pix setup.

I would suggest posting a copy of your PIX config:

type: show config

that way we don't have to guess what is wrong with the setup.

Do you have web traffic allowed from inside to outside ? Any access-list applied on the inside interface? Make sure that you have the nat/pat setup correctly. Thanks,

Mynul

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card