ACL hitcount not real

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

maybe a stupid question.

ASA v 8.2

What does the ACL hit count count ?

I always thought that the acl hitcount counted the numbers of packets hitting that line in the ACL, however that is not the case.

if I setup a icmp permit rule then that will only increment 1 even if I send 4 packets that hits the line. udp and tcp seems to do thesame.

Does anyone have a explanation to this behaviour ?

Is there some way I can make the ACL actually count the packets that hits ?

where can I learn more about this ?

Regards

Hobbe

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hobbe,

The ACL hit count value does show the number of packets that hit that particular rule. However, keep in mind that the ACL is only checked for the first packet of a connection. If the first packet is allowed by the ACL, the ASA understands that all subsequent packets in that same connection will also be allowed so it doesn't check again.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hobbe,

The ACL hit count value does show the number of packets that hit that particular rule. However, keep in mind that the ACL is only checked for the first packet of a connection. If the first packet is allowed by the ACL, the ASA understands that all subsequent packets in that same connection will also be allowed so it doesn't check again.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

You are (ofcourse ) correct ! Thanks for reminding me.

And I understand that if I want to know the exact number of bytes I can get that from the syslog message when it closes the connection through.

However that said, is there any way I can findout how many packets from a specific host are transported through the firewall or actually is hitting or leaving a specific interface.

(without using the capture command)

What I need to do is compare traffic entering one interface on one firewall with traffic exiting on another firewall (vpn inbetween). and I need to do that on a per packet level.

ie

Starting now untill +10 sec how many packets have been recieved from host a ingress on firewall A interface 1 and how many packets from host a is sent out egress on firewall B interface 1.

does anyone have an answer to that ?

Regards

Hobbe

Since you are running 8.2 have you considered configuring Netlfow? This is assuming that you have a Netflow collection server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/monitor_nsel.html#wpmkr1111173

Hi Hobbe,

Is there a reason you don't want to use the capture command for this? That is probably the best way to do it from the firewall's CLI.

You also mentioned there is a VPN in between. If this is the only traffic traversing the tunnel, you could look at the output of 'show crypto ipsec sa' and find the SA for the traffic you want to measure. This will give you a counter for the number of packets encrypted and decrypted across the tunnel.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card