cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any plans for a Java-less ASDM for ASA?

CiscoMedMed
Level 1
Level 1

Is a java-less version of ASDM or a GUI of similar function in the works? Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not that I am aware of anything like that. ASA  Model soon going out of market soon and ASDM also will be EoL.

Future is FTD / Firepower - so a most web-based HTML5

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not that I am aware of anything like that. ASA  Model soon going out of market soon and ASDM also will be EoL.

Future is FTD / Firepower - so a most web-based HTML5

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is an ASDM version available that uses OpenJRE and does not require Oracle Java. See "asdm-openjre-7131-101.bin" for example:

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286119613/type/280775064/release/7.13.1.101

It's still Java but the open source variant. It does not require Java to be installed on the client PC.

While ASA hardware end-of-sale has been announced, the software (i.e. running on Firepower hardware or as ASAv image) will continue to be sold and supported for years to come.

Hi Marvin

I can't get ASDM to run with the OpenJRE variant, and it seems there's no step-by-step/best practice documentation out there that shows us engineers how to do it.

Do you know any source that helps in getting this setup running?

Regards, Toni

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@tgrundbacher my experience is that, when the target ASA has the OpenJRE ASDM image installed and specified in the configuration, it will just launch and run automatically when you browse to the ASA (with the /admin URL) on an interface that is allowing http(s) access for management from your source address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card