cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5500-x IPS how to connect

Matt Roberts
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to connect through the ASDM. When reading how to configure it says to make sure the IP address is on the same subnet as the ASA VLAN IP address.

I'm not sure what it is talking about here. Is it talking about the inside interface? The management interface?

3 Replies 3

Marco Attene
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Matt,

looking at the bit related to that :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/asdm64/configuration_guide/intro_start.html

Accessing ASDM Using the Factory Default Configuration

With a factory default configuration (see the "Factory Default Configurations" section), ASDM connectivity is preconfigured with default network settings. Connect to ASDM using the following interface and network settings:

The management interface depends on your model:

ASA 5505—The switch port to which you connect to ASDM can be any port, except for Ethernet 0/0.

ASA 5510 and higher—The interface to which you connect to ASDM is Management 0/0.

The default management address is 192.168.1.1.

The clients allowed to access ASDM must be on the 192.168.1.0/24 network. The default configuration enables DHCP so your management station can be assigned an IP address in this range. To allow other client IP addresses to access ASDM, see the "Configuring ASA Access for ASDM, Telnet, or SSH" section on page 40-1.

To launch ASDM, see the "Starting ASDM" section.

So, I gather it's talking about Management int.

Hope this helps

Marco

How do I connect if I'm not using the management interface. I connect to the ASDM on the inside interface. The management interface is a pain so I don't use it. Do I need to change the IPS IP address to an IP on the same subnet as the inside interface since thats how I connect to the ASDM?

Hi Matt,

you are correct. Confirmation here  (If you do not have an inside router)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/quick_start/ips/ips_qsg.html#wp45196

Please rate if you find this answer useful.

Thanks

Marco

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card