Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 Capabilities

stevenmorgan
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I'm currently looking at the slew of firewall options out on the market. I have the task of recommending one for a client that has the most functionality for a reasonable cost (preferably no more than $800). I typically would go with the ASA 5505 w/base lic. I have been using ASA devices for some years now and they have been great. But, as with the ever changing internet and security threats, would I be ok in going with the ASA? I'll admit I'm not knowledgeable in all the capabilities of the ASA. Is it considered a "Nex-Gen" firewall? Where is the ASA ranked in comparison to the other options like SonicWall, Juniper, Fortinet, etc.? I've worked with SonicWall and Juniper, but did not like them. It has been sometime though, so maybe they have gotten better.

With having layer 7 filtering and IDS/IPS capabilities, one feature I will need is VLAN capabilities and ability to provide separate DHCP service for each VLAN (ASA can do this). I will be setting up a guest, internet only, network. VLAN trunking would be nice (ASA can do this with security plus lic, expensive though). In addition, having solid VPN capabilities (client and site-to-site). Good product support and documentation is a must too. Your input is appreciated.

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We are always gonna say Cisco ... As always threated here, what you need to think is the support and if it mets everything you need. At least you know that if you need VPN, you will have it, if you need layer 7 inspection, you have it and so on.

Really depends on the requirements of the new setup, but as far as It goes... ASA can do it.

Mike

Mike
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card