cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 HELP! I've now reverted to a previous version of the ASA software (somehow)

Pete Johnstone
Level 1
Level 1

New to configuring Cisco routers.  Client bought one, a refurbed ASA 5505 so I need to configure it.  Well it was running ASA software version 8.4(7), the Configuration register was 0x41

So after configuring, not knowing any better I unplugged took it to client site, and realized my config did not survive reboot.  Fortunately I just found a text version of the config that I saved....At the advice of a member here, I changed the Configuration register to 0x1 and now my enable password/config survives reboot.

But somehow, now the device software version is 8.2 and it's not understanding some of the commands I used when it was 8.4

What can I do to get back 8.4?  Is this possible?  The refurb guy that shipped it didn't send anything other than the device, power, and a sheet with the info on it but no software, no console cable, etc.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

See if the newer image is on disk0:

dir

If so, direct the ASA to boot from it:

boot system disk0:/<image name>

Image name is something like asa847-k8.bin.

Save that config and reload.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

See if the newer image is on disk0:

dir

If so, direct the ASA to boot from it:

boot system disk0:/<image name>

Image name is something like asa847-k8.bin.

Save that config and reload.

It "almost" worked....

dir

Yields this (I only included important lines):

Directory of disk0:/

158 -rwx 15390720 03:33:30 Aug 23 2013 asa825-k8.bin

163 -rwx 24809472 23:29:24 Sep 11 2013 asa847-k8.bin

So I instructed it to boot from the second image which should be 8.4(7) and saved it, however I get this at boot time:

WARNING: BOOT variable added, but unable to find disk0:/

*** Output from config line 45, "boot system disk0:/"

So dir tells me that disk 0 does in fact exist, and it has the image I would like to boot to, however at boot time it can't seem to see it?  Does this have something to do with the configuration register by any chance?

What exactly does you boot line now say?

If the configuration register value is 0x1, the ASA should follow the specified boot image from the startup configuration file.

Reference: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa-command-reference/A-H/cmdref1/c4.html#pgfId-2167915

I would expect the following to be in place and work for you:

boot system disk0:/asa847-k8.bin

Sorry been working on other clients the last couple of days.  Finally sat down and looked at the config, it looks like there were two entries in the config (when I added the second one I must've accidentally added the first one as well?):

boot system disk0:/

boot system disk0:/asa847-k8.bin

That would explain why it wasn't loading the version I wanted (and explains the error message as well).  I removed the first entry and boom, now it works.  Thanks for all the help!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card