Replies

ASA 5505 in Booting Loop after Upgrade

ArchiTech89
Level 1
Level 1

ASA 5505
Old ver: 6.2?
New ver: 9.2

Looked for upgrade info first, but found some people saying upgrade to 8.3 first, then to 9.x, and others saying they had upgraded several ASAs with no problems.

Now the device just keeps booting in a loop.

I've tried the following:
- Pushing and holding the Reset button on the back of the device.
- Researching how to reset to factory defaults without having access to the command line.
- Pressing BREAK or ESC to interrupt boot.

Any thoughts?

jeremyNLSO

Phoenix, AZ

ArchiTech89
CCNA Routing & Switching, CCNA Security
MCITP, MCTS
Berlin, Germany
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Akshay Rastogi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Phoenix,

To move to version asa9.2, we need to follow intermediate path of upgrade:

asa6.2 --> asa7.2--> 8.2.5 --> 8.4.6 --> 9.2.1 or later.

Also upgrade asdm version to 7.5.1-90

Once you reach to version 8.2.5, you need to check your configuration to get it ready for post 8.3 upgrade. Please follow the link below. It has all the information you need to know to migrate to version post 8.3 :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/48646/asa-83-upgrade-what-you-need-know

As the device in boot loop, no need to factory reset the ASA. You need to pressing Break or ESC to interrupt boot and when you reach to rommon, then boot the asa with old image 'boot disk0:<old image>

Regards,

Akshay Rastogi

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Akshay Rastogi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Phoenix,

To move to version asa9.2, we need to follow intermediate path of upgrade:

asa6.2 --> asa7.2--> 8.2.5 --> 8.4.6 --> 9.2.1 or later.

Also upgrade asdm version to 7.5.1-90

Once you reach to version 8.2.5, you need to check your configuration to get it ready for post 8.3 upgrade. Please follow the link below. It has all the information you need to know to migrate to version post 8.3 :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/48646/asa-83-upgrade-what-you-need-know

As the device in boot loop, no need to factory reset the ASA. You need to pressing Break or ESC to interrupt boot and when you reach to rommon, then boot the asa with old image 'boot disk0:<old image>

Regards,

Akshay Rastogi

You're a peach!

I'm in and I'll now follow the cool link you posted to get it correct. (Note that I was at ver 8.2.5, not 6.2 <grin>)

Thanks so much...

ArchiTech89
CCNA Routing & Switching, CCNA Security
MCITP, MCTS
Berlin, Germany
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card