Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 to router mode

Safwan Hashan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a problem configuring ASA 5505 to connect to internet because the modem that connect to internet was tagged with vlan to the ISP. As i know that the ASA 5505 is in switch mode, so in order to connect to the modem, its need to be in the router mode. My question is, can ASA 5505 be configure as a router mode and did it require any license to do that? Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

Wantser1981_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Firstly, there is no switch mode. The two modes are transparent and router mode. Router mode means that you can use all the features such as VPN and transparent is a layer2 firewall which allows you to place in a network without changing the topology and inspect l2 packets etc, but some of the more traditional features (like VPN) are not available.

If you do a "show firewall" what does it output?

The router mode still looks like a switch in the normal sense as it uses SVI as the interfaces. Depending on license depends on how many you can configure. Standard is three - inside,outside and management.

In terms of license for these modes, there is no license specific to the mode. You can use either.

If you want to route - you will need router mode.

HTH

Hi,

Sorry for misunderstanding on the mode concept as i'm still new to cisco devices. So how to change to router mode? Thanks.

Hi,

No probs, just trying to give you a quick overview.

The sytax for getting an ASA back to routed mode is

no firewall transparent

First though, run a "show firewall". To see what mode you are in.

Back your configs up also as they will change significantly. I cant remember if the prompt allows to you configure a management interface this way around or not (been some time), but I would recommend doing this via console so you can at least start from scratch.

As soon as you hit the enter on "no firewall transparent", the device will change...it wont ask "are you sure" or anything.

HTH

Andy

Hi,

Thanks again for answering my question. So, by default the ASA 5505 should be in the router mode right?

Hi,

Yes, by default devices are in routed mode. A "show firewall" will confirm which mode your device is in.

Cheers

Hi,

I dont have the device with me right now to run that command but I managed to capture image of my firewall when i configure using ASDM. My firewall already in the router mode right? Another question, can I configure ASA 5505 port to be in trunk mode?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card