cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 Unable to access via ADSM

chuckbalogh
Level 1
Level 1

I am unable to access the 5505 via the ADSM interface.  I inherited this account from another IT company.  The ADSM is on the server and when I launch it, it comes up and prompts me for UN and  PSWD.  I use  the  default UN: admin.  They left the logins and passwords for the equipment and in the case of the 5505, the password note is peculiar.  It reads:  Telnet / Enable  password:  <password>.  I was able to Telnet in using PuTTy from my laptop directly connected to a 5505 port and can see some of the config there but I'm lost as to  what to do next. 

If this makes sense to anyone, please advise. 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

If you get into privilege mode then you need to enter config t before you enter the username command.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

Chuck

If you have not used business class Cisco equipment before then you have a pretty steep learning curve coming up. I wish you good luck with it. Continue to use these forums to ask questions and to learn more about how to use this equipment.

Config t is such a basic part of configuring that we(I) frequently forget to specify it as we are giving advice about how to accomplish something. But it is in the literature. Here is a document about configuring ASA that does specify this in step 5.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa91/configuration/general/asa_91_general_config/intro_start.html

Good luck

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Rishabh Seth
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

As you have access via telnet, you can create a new local user with username and password for ASDM access.

ciscoasa(config)# username test password test1234 privilege 15

ciscoasa(config)# aaa authentication http console LOCAL

Note: You can configure any username and password, here test and test1234 is used in example.

Hope it helps!!!

Thank you so much.  I won't be on site again for a few days and will try this when I am there.

I have one other question.   If I should post a new question, please let me know. 

My question is: Can the 5505 be configured with the MAC address of the network equipment (e.g. DSL modem)?  If so, will this be easy to view and configure once I have ADSM access?

The reason I need access to the 5505 is that the customer just switched his  DSL and now has a new modem.  At this point, the service is not working (ATT issue) but I want to make sure that when it does work, the customers' service is back on line.

I was not involved in the DSL install and unfortunately, the remote tech had my customer moving cables.  I think that I have returned the cables to the correct ports  (port 0 to DSL modem and customer switch to port 3) and  now wonder what else could have gotten messed up (highly technical term.....LOL). 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

I would suggest you to post a new question for better discussion on the forum.

Also provide more details about the requirement.

Looking forward for your update on the forum.

Don't forget to mark answer as correct if the issue gets resolved. :)

I am on site and having some trouble.  I have telenett'd into the 5505 and gotten into the "privileged commands" mode using the "enable" command.  I get an 'invalid input detected' error when I type the command at the "n" in username.

Command:  coteasa# username admin2 password password-mine privilege 15

I can't find out how to get in the "configure" mode - my prompt does not reflect "configure" mode.

I accessed the 5505 via PuTTy and did not login as any particular user. 

My ASA version is 8.2 (3)

Device manager version is  6.3 (4)

Any help would be appreciated.

If you get into privilege mode then you need to enter config t before you enter the username command.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

I think that you have provided the missing link.  I haven't found that "configure t" anywhere.  Why is it hidden?  Any idea?

I won't be on site again for a few days but will try this as soon as I get there. 

Thanks

Chuck

Chuck

I am glad that my suggestion seems to have provided the missing link. The CLI of the ASA is like the CLI in IOS routers and switche in this respect. When you are in privilege mode you get to configuration mode using the command configure t.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks again.  I am still perplexed as to why I could not find this KEY INFORMATION in any of the literature on the ASA.  Is it in the lit somewhere?  I would like to know for future  reference.  I have not used any business class Cisco equipment in the past, only consumer class equipment.

It also does not show when I use the "?" command to list all commands.

Thanks in advance for any other info you can impart on me, the newbie.

Chuck

Chuck

If you have not used business class Cisco equipment before then you have a pretty steep learning curve coming up. I wish you good luck with it. Continue to use these forums to ask questions and to learn more about how to use this equipment.

Config t is such a basic part of configuring that we(I) frequently forget to specify it as we are giving advice about how to accomplish something. But it is in the literature. Here is a document about configuring ASA that does specify this in step 5.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa91/configuration/general/asa_91_general_config/intro_start.html

Good luck

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank  you Rick.  I figured it was either extremely basic (and everyone knew it) or I was on another  planet and there was no way I was going to make it.  THANK you for the documentation.  I will study it.  Since this is an existing installation, I can use it to learn from.  I will continue to use the forum for questions.  So far so good.

I will be on site in the next day or two and then will (hopefully) mark this answer correct and close the discussion.

Hi Rick,

As expected, I was able to set a new username and password once I got into config mode.  Thank you and thank you for your patience with this newbie. I must admit that I saw the configure terminal but for some reason didn't try it.  Not sure why.

Thanks again.

Chuck

Chuck

I am glad that you were able to get it configured once you figured out some of the very basic things. I am glad that I was able to give you advice that worked. I hope that you will continue to work with Cisco gear and to continue to use these forums.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card