cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA-5506 License and Maintenance

patrick.hurley
Level 3
Level 3

When I buy the ASA5506–K9 I am just getting the hardware.  I need Smartnet too.  Do I also need a Firepower license?

if so what part number?

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

But why though? 

End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco 5506 appliances and licenses with FTD software

No one would be selling the license(s) past the End of Sale date (30 July 2019).  

Have they announced what is replacing it?

@patrick.hurley wrote:

Have they announced what is replacing it?

Yes.  The EoS announcement includes the recommended replacement.

@patrick.hurley 

Yes I agree with Leo, don't buy the ASA hardware. The ASA 5506 is EOL and doesnt support the latest FTD (firepower) software etc.

The FPR1010 is the direct hardware replacement, it supports running the latest FTD or ASA software. You purchase with either installed as default, you have the option to reimage to ASA if running FTD software or vice versa.  The FTD software supports the NGFW functionality, the ASA software does not. You need additional firepower licensing if you wish to running the threat features, ravpn etc.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/firepower-1000-series/datasheet-c78-742469.html

HTH

rschlayer
Level 4
Level 4

Hey @patrick.hurley 

to answer your question, you only need a firepower license if you want to use the firepower services (L7 features).

Since ASA5506 is EOL, I would advise against buying that hardware and go for a firepower 1010. 

This model can use the ASA software, or the new FTD software which has advanced features. If you run ASA code, you cannot use any FTD features like URL filtering, IPS, etc.

I would highly recommend using the FTD code.

BR
Rick

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card