cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5506-X flashing amber light

Cadeyrn
Level 1
Level 1

I have a used ASA 5506-X that I use for CCNP learning. Unfortunately, it suddenly stopped working this week. Upon being plugged in, the status light flashes amber endlessly. There is no console output, either.

I have not made any configuration changes in more than two weeks.

I am aware of the well-known clock signal component error. I am sure that it is not the case. I know the previous owner, and he told me that the device was already once replaced for that issue two or threes ago. Cisco documents that it is fixed in V04 and later. The bottom of the device indicates that it is V05.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Searching around showed similar issues with the older 5505 and some people indicated replacing the RAM fixed it. I removed the case on my 5506 but I cannot immediately identify anything that resembles RAM sticks. I can identify an mSATA which I assume is the flash, as well as a battery. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unfortunately that's indicative of a major hardware failure.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/hw/maintenance/5506xguide/b_Install_Guide_5506/b_Install_Guide_5506_chapter_01.html#concept_9EB479BF65B64360A7BF8DD21F3DD6C9

You can try to reseat the mSATA but there's not much else you can do internally on the device.

chadbaird2431
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, check the field notices you can plug in your serial # and see if the unit is affected.  Field Notice: FN - 70476

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/704/fn70476.html 

C

Thank you. I checked the serial number and it confirmed "Not Affected".

NP.. I have a never before told 'war story' and a possible fix; this probably won't work but it did for me once when it really counted. 

So there I was, in a tight server room trying to relocate this ASA in the rack. I had a brain-2-motor control uh communications failure and dropped the ASA on the floor..  It was their only firewall.. I got the same amber flashing error when powering back up. 

I thought to myself; "I have a CompTia A+ and a Ham radio license, I got this."  I knew that um.. (I'm trying to keep a straight face) It had to be hardware..  So I unscrewed the MB; gave it a twist back and forth, screwed it back down and reseated the ram..  It fired back up.    

It worked for me.. Give it a try? You have nothing to loose. 

C

hcastillo5
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same problem. 

Try this link: https://snvui.cisco.com/snv/FN70476

My unit had "Status: Affected" in the link above but when you go to the link that Field Notice directs you to, it's a defective link that doesn't work (it will say that the unit is unaffected). TAC can't open a ticket without a support agreement and you can't open a ticket under Support Case Manager to replace a unit that has an admitted manufacturing defect. I guess the hardware Upgrade wasn't really available.

Field Notice: FN70476 - ASA5508 and ASA5516 Security Appliances Might Fail After 18 Months or Longer Due to a Damaged Component - Hardware Upgrade Available - Cisco

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card