cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5506-x permit services between VLANs of differing security-level

paul_j_teeter
Level 1
Level 1

I thought I had this sorted out earlier today but...not so much. Deploying a Cisco ASA 5506-x as firewall/router.

Trying to accomplish some smarter VLAN'ing to segment traffic on my office/home network. Core switch is Cisco 3560cg. There's some other dumb, PoE switches and a Cisco 2960c further downstream.

I have 4 VLANs - 100 = 10.0.20.0/22, 101 = 192.168.20.0/23, 102 = 172.16.20.0/23. and 103 = 10.100.100.0/24. 100 is most secure on the ASA at level 100. 101 and 102 are at level 80. Lastly 103 is at 50. (VLAN 103 is mostly inconsequential b/c it bypasses my switched network.)

I'd like clients on VLANs 101 and 102 to rely on DNS servers that exist on VLAN 100.

I feel I've tried to accomplish this DNS ACL on the ASA via...

• individual destination hosts

• named interfaces

• multiple services

• just udp / port 53

• object-group of source VLANs

• object destination network

Etc. etc.

I'll post the whole ASA config as well but the pertinent config for this issue in the current semi-broken deployment is:

object-group service DNS
 description DNS over tcp & udp
service-object tcp-udp destination eq domain 
!
object-group network Lesser-VLANs
 description Network object group for VLANs 101 & 102
 network-object object HomeFamily
 network-object object Testing
!
object-group network VLAN100_DNS_Servers
 description iMac5k, iMac27 DNS Server group
 network-object host 10.0.20.80
 network-object host 10.0.20.19
!
access-list AllowDNStoVLAN100 extended permit object-group DNS object-group Lesser-VLANs object-group VLAN100_DNS_Servers
!
access-group AllowDNStoVLAN100 in interface insideHomeFamily
access-group AllowDNStoVLAN100 in interface insideTesting

Adding the access-group config instantly makes DNS lookups to 10.0.20.80 / 10.0.20.19 from a client on VLAN 101 or 102 succeed. But doing so renders that same client unable to send/receive HTTP/HTTPS traffic. Which is...umm...suboptimal.

Just looking for clues on how to make this work I hope.

The whole, sanitized ASA config is attached. I'm fairly adept at the ASA's VPN setup. But am feeling my way through the network, firewall, & router config. Feel free to make overall suggestions / ask questions / etc.

Thanks so much to anyone who cares to take a peek and comment. Appreciate the help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gbekmezi-DD
Level 5
Level 5
The access list has an implicit deny any any at the end. As soon as you put an access-group on an interface the security level becomes insignificant and you must explicitly allow traffic or add a permit any any there.

George

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

gbekmezi-DD
Level 5
Level 5
The access list has an implicit deny any any at the end. As soon as you put an access-group on an interface the security level becomes insignificant and you must explicitly allow traffic or add a permit any any there.

George

My main misunderstanding is that 'access-list <name> extended' implies that additional ACL statements with the same <name> append to the overall ACL.

Sigh.

So...appending a 'permit ip any any' to the end of the ACL that is applied via an access-group to the interface in question allows outbound traffic from a client on the VLAN in question fixes the traffic flow problem.

Also, 'packet-tracer' is very helpful in debugging this issue.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card