cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 activation key lost

gp1200x
Level 2
Level 2

I have a bunch of 5510s and one of them has an issue. I was getting disk errors on disk0 and rebooted it and looked at the DISK0. It had a lot of FSCHK errors so I deleted them all using delete FSCK*.* and rebooted the device - bad idea! When it came back up I had issues and noticed that I no longer had my activation key for the 5510 Security Plus license showing...which really caused configuration problems. I believe this activation key or a check of it is written on the disk0: flash so one of my corrupted files was probably related to this check file for the key.

So now WHAT DO I DO? I can't re-input since I have not written them down anywhere. I have old configs but never keep a ssh putty log that showed the sh ver infor.

The 5510s are no longer on maintenance either. What are my options?  Put the 5510 back on maintenance and then call Cisco. Without maintenance I do not think Cisco will even help. If I asked for a AES license key (it already had it) would the key they generate for me reinstall the Security PLUS license too as I apply the AES keys?

Thanks 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

will
Level 3
Level 3

I would contact licensing @ cisco (rather than TAC). licensing should maintain a database of serial number to license activations. there support is basically "free," as they activate licenses, and they may be able to re-issue the activation key.

another idea: possibly find the old email from licensing, which contains the activation key? got that lying around in any mail archives? :)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

will
Level 3
Level 3

I would contact licensing @ cisco (rather than TAC). licensing should maintain a database of serial number to license activations. there support is basically "free," as they activate licenses, and they may be able to re-issue the activation key.

another idea: possibly find the old email from licensing, which contains the activation key? got that lying around in any mail archives? :)

gp1200x
Level 2
Level 2

Here is the way I retrieved an old activation key. I reordered a 3DES/AES key and figured that their records would regenerate a key based on the original features that had been on the ASA (bought it recently used).  I received a key stating that there is a discrepancy and I should verify that the serial number is correct before proceeding - so I assumed that maybe their records showed a 3DES/AES key had already been issued. I tried the key anyway since I had nothing to lose. It took the key. I rebooted several times and my Security Plus feature came back on.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card