Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 backup

shivudu1984
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Am trying to backup the current config for my ASA 5510 using ASDM (6.2). It only backed few configuration files and returned failure message errors. i am attaching the pic of the error and curious to know about the failure error messages on backup statistics that says no message entries. i am aware that i have not configured those features and i assume that's the reason for the error but Am not really familiar with the 5510 yet. Any suggestion on how to do it right?

And also how do i import the back up file if i need to get my configuration back?

Thanks

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I just tried it. It gave me the exact same window. It just says what was on the ASA that is backed up.  I am sure it saved a zip file on the location that you specified.

The running config is there as a copy in the .zip file.  If you need to restore it you can choose the restore configuration option from the same menu and point to the file that it backed up.

-KS

View solution in original post

Hello KS

We take daily config backup and store in a central location for all devices including ASA and also we get Alerts on config changes using NCM tool from solarwinds . I would like to understand if we can take daily backup and store in a different location using ASDM without any intervention ( lets say scheduled backup task )

thanks

ST

No need to backup a config that hasn't changed. Backing up only when making changes is the way to go.

I hope it helps.

PK

No there is no automated task that you can run from ASDM or from CLI that would backup the config once a week or once in

two weeks.  There are some third party programs that do this. Solarwinds has one and Cirrus is the other that I know of. Cisco RME can go out on a set schedule and grab configs from devices as well: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2073/index.html

Just make it a habit to backup whenever you make a change.

-KS

8 Replies 8

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I just tried it. It gave me the exact same window. It just says what was on the ASA that is backed up.  I am sure it saved a zip file on the location that you specified.

The running config is there as a copy in the .zip file.  If you need to restore it you can choose the restore configuration option from the same menu and point to the file that it backed up.

-KS

Hello KS

We take daily config backup and store in a central location for all devices including ASA and also we get Alerts on config changes using NCM tool from solarwinds . I would like to understand if we can take daily backup and store in a different location using ASDM without any intervention ( lets say scheduled backup task )

thanks

ST

Thanks guys for your replies. But that's an interesting point backing up the ASA everyday.My understanding is that we do not make changes frequently to the ASA. So it needs to get backed up only there is a change in the running-config. Or is it something that i should do i.e back up my config everyday?

No need to backup a config that hasn't changed. Backing up only when making changes is the way to go.

I hope it helps.

PK

No there is no automated task that you can run from ASDM or from CLI that would backup the config once a week or once in

two weeks.  There are some third party programs that do this. Solarwinds has one and Cirrus is the other that I know of. Cisco RME can go out on a set schedule and grab configs from devices as well: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2073/index.html

Just make it a habit to backup whenever you make a change.

-KS

Thanks for the reply!!

Hi Sankar,

How can I make some changes in my Backup files and restore it again.

I want to remove my following configuration:

svc enable

group-policy DfltGrpPolicy attributes

vpn-tunnel-protocol IPSec l2tp-ipsec

What should I do ?

Uncompress the ZIP file that was produced as a result of the backup process.

Check the "running-config.cfg" file, modify it, save it and compress the files again.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card