cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5516-X Firewall

Senbonzakura
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings, would anyone who has personal experience configuring a ASA 5516-X Firewall be able to give me their input? What features are turned on by default when it comes to security along with layer-6 security and what features are not on but you recommend turning on and why? Some advice would be appreciated.

Also, what ports should be blocked that aren't by default. This is a basic configuration, firewall to switch with multiple VLANS for data and voice.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Just follow that quick start guide.

Make sure to have your Protect and Control license PAK to redeem and license the Firepower service module via ASDM. Other than the initial bootstrap configuration, all Firepower configuration must be done via the GUI.

A simple "Balanced Security and Connectivity" intrusion policy is sufficient to 90% of the single firewall use cases.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When configuring a factory-fresh ASA 5516-X not much is done by default. You have to setup the interfaces yourself. Once you do that - assuming, for instance, an inside and outside interface - all traffic will be allowed to pass from inside to outside and no traffic that's not part of an already established connection will be blocked from outside to inside.

If you've setup multiple interfaces with the same security level, traffic will not pass between them unless allowed.

If there's a Firepower service module that is where we normally configure higher layer (L4+) inspections. The ASA by itself only has a set of very basic protocol conformance inspections.

Thank you for clearing that up, now is IDS/IPS something that is done automatically or does that have to be configured? I know it's probably a silly question but I'm trying to get a better understanding on it.

This firewall is using the firepower service module, how would I go about configuring the L4+inspection (pros and cons to doing so) and any recommendations?

It has to be done via manual setup. I guess you are doing all the setup via cli or ASDM?

The service module is managed either via ASDM ("local management") or via a Firepower Management Center (FMC) server.

If using ASDM, please check out this quick start guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/quick_start/sfr/firepower-qsg.html#pgfId-139878

I'll be doing everything through CLI but I did plan on using the online GUIs for monitoring it and making quick changes. I've configured the server for ASDM before so I know how to go about that but the firepower module that will be new for me.

Just follow that quick start guide.

Make sure to have your Protect and Control license PAK to redeem and license the Firepower service module via ASDM. Other than the initial bootstrap configuration, all Firepower configuration must be done via the GUI.

A simple "Balanced Security and Connectivity" intrusion policy is sufficient to 90% of the single firewall use cases.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card