Views
Helpful
Replies

asa 5520 | CPU Spikes above 90% for 5 Seconds then it went down to 35 - 40%

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Experts

i have ASA 5520 , some times the CPU Spikes above 90% for 5 Seconds then it went down to 35 - 40% ,but what happened when it shoots to 90% all connection go through this ASA gets drops then i receive complain since application traffic traverse this FW ,so how can i see the CPU History for last 1 week , i need to see the times and the date WHEN THE CPU went above 90% for 4 seconds

thanks

jamil

4 Replies 4

varrao
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Ibrahim,

from he ASA you would not be able to pull data for last one week, you would need an SNMP server or anyother monitoring server for pulling reports.

For high CPU issues, I would suggest opening a TAC case for it, since it requires detailed investigation and access to your box. Just as in initial pointer, these outputs might help you identifying the cause:

show proc cpu-usage

show traffic

show conn count

show interface

Remember these outputs are useful only if they are from the time of the issue, check what traffic is hogging the CPU and if the ASA is being overwhelmed or not.

Thanks,
Varun Rao
Security Team,
Cisco TAC

Thanks,
Varun Rao

Hi Varun

thanks for ur reply

i m happy coz i see cisco team answers threads in this great forum

my friend , unfortunately i dont have service contract to open case with cisco TAC , since  all my Cisco equipment are refurbished

any freeware for windows on the Internet so that i can use it as SNMP-server!

thanks

jamil

Hi Jamil,

You can google it, there shold be some snmp servers that you can download like splunk and PRTG which can help you.

Thanks for your kind words, there are many engineers like me who are actively involved in this forum like Julio, Maykol, Jennifer and me and many more, you would always have some great minds with great ideas in here

Thanks,
Varun Rao
Security Team,
Cisco TAC

Thanks,
Varun Rao

Would also suggest firewall analyser or netflow analyser.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card