Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5525-X Firepower Services upgrade

adamgibs7
Level 6
Level 6

Dears,

I am planning to upgrade the Defense center and the sensor, I have seen the upgrade path to 6.1.0 from current version 6.0.1 , I have only one doubt do I have to upgrade the boot images and the packages also to 6.1.0 or they can remain on 5.4.0

Actually these are used for what??

asasfr-5500x-boot-6.1.0-330.img

asasfr-sys-6.1.0-330.pkg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As Karsten correctly noted in his initial reply, "The two mentioned files are for a completely new installation.".

Once you have installed a Firepower service module there is no need to even keep those files. They can be completely deleted without any effect to the operations of the system. They are not needed for upgrade either.

Only if you decide to reimage the module as a means of upgrading and skipping the intermediate versions would you need the img and pkg files - and in that case the new versions.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

The two mentioned files are for a completely new installation. And that is what I would do (at least if you don't want to stop with 6.1 but also go to the actual 6.2.x release):

• Upgrade the Management-Center the "regular way"to 6.2.2.2
  • Reinstall the sensors with the 6.2.2-3 boot-image and 6.2.2 system image.

This way is typically much faster than upgrades.

Dear Karsten,

My next step is to upgrade to 6.2.2.2 defense center and the sensor so do I have to upgrade the boot img and the pkg of 6.2.2 or with 5.4.X boot images and pkg it will work ??

asasfr-5500x-boot-6.2.2-3.img

asasfr-sys-6.2.2-81.pkg

Also I have a question how I can take a sensor back before upgrading bec all configuration is on the sensor defense center has only event logs and it basic configuration. Please correct me if I m wrong.

Thanks

All config is on the Management Center. Because of that it is easy to reinstall the whole sensor (with the mentioned 6.2.2 software) and just reapply the policies from the Management Center.

Dear karsten

you didn't replied to my question.

My next step is to upgrade to 6.2.2.2 defense center and the sensor so do I have to upgrade compulsory the boot img and the pkg of 6.2.2 or with 5.4.X boot images and pkg it will work ??

asasfr-5500x-boot-6.2.2-3.img

asasfr-sys-6.2.2-81.pkg

As Karsten correctly noted in his initial reply, "The two mentioned files are for a completely new installation.".

Once you have installed a Firepower service module there is no need to even keep those files. They can be completely deleted without any effect to the operations of the system. They are not needed for upgrade either.

Only if you decide to reimage the module as a means of upgrading and skipping the intermediate versions would you need the img and pkg files - and in that case the new versions.

Dear Marvin,

Thanks for confirming that the upgrade of these images is not required, I have 5.3.x in my firepower so I will untouch them and I will upgrade with 6.2.0 FMC and Sensor.

thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card