Views
Helpful
Replies

asa 5540 failover issue

sridhar ch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 asa 5540's configured in active/standby mode. Today i have unplugged one of the cable (not the failover cable), after that i noticed that roles got changed. i dont know how. below is the current status.

asa# sh failover state

State          Last Failure Reason      Date/Time

This host  -    Secondary

Active             None

Other host -   Primary

Standby Ready  Ifc Failure              19:24:59 IST Oct 9 2012

management: No Link

BACKUP_INTERFACE: No Link

====Configuration State===

Sync Done - STANDBY

====Communication State===

Mac set

Does unplugging one cable connected to one of the interface out of 8, will change the role?

Thanks,

Sridhar

1 Reply 1

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Not 100% sure about this without checking/testing but I think by default one physical interface going down will perform Failover

Though I think theres an option to set the configuration to permit 1 (or more) interfaces going down and not perform failover. Though I'm not sure in what kind of situation you would want that to happen

If you got trunk interfaces configured do note that the subinterfaces need to manually set to be monitored in order to take part in the failover (command "monitor-interface")

Again I'm abit rusty so I'm not sure will the physical Trunk interface going down trigger Failover if none of its subinterfaces are configured with the "monitor-interface" command

- Jouni

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card