Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5545X Backup

TW80CJ5
Level 3
Level 3

Another ASA Backup Question...

I would like to use EEM to have a 7-Day backup, using the backup command in the ASA. I have the following information from balaji.bandi and this post (works great!):

1. Requirement is 7 configuration files
2. Test-run every 80 seconds
3. it keeps a copy the files up to 7 and keeps moving old to new

https://community.cisco.com/t5/firewalls/asa-backup-using-cli/m-p/3927874#M181667

event manager applet backupconfig
event timer watchdog time 80 <<- this is in seconds to run
action 0 cli command "copy /noconfirm disk0:/running-config6 disk0:/running-config7"
action 2 cli command "copy /noconfirm disk0:/running-config5 disk0:/running-config6"
action 3 cli command "copy /noconfirm disk0:/running-config4 disk0:/running-config5"
action 4 cli command "copy /noconfirm disk0:/running-config3 disk0:/running-config4"
action 5 cli command "copy /noconfirm disk0:/running-config2 disk0:/running-config3"
action 6 cli command "copy /noconfirm disk0:/running-config1 disk0:/running-config2"
action 7 cli command "copy /noconfirm disk0:/running-config disk0:/running-config1"
action 8 cli command "copy /noconfirm running-config disk0:/running-config"
output none

I would like to incorporate the “backup” command with EEM. The problem I am running into is since the Backup command adds a date and 6 digit number, there is no unique values I can specify to overwrite.
How can I do something similar listed above with Backup and EEM.
Or should I do a daily running config backup using the existing EEM script and just do a Backup once a week?

action 4 cli command "copy /noconfirm disk0:/running-config3 disk0:/running-config4"
action 5 cli command "copy /noconfirm disk0:/running-config2 disk0:/running-config3"
action 6 cli command "copy /noconfirm disk0:/running-config1 disk0:/running-config2"
action 7 cli command "copy /noconfirm disk0:/running-config disk0:/running-config1"
action 8 cli command "copy /noconfirm running-config disk0:/running-config"
output none

I would like to incorporate the “backup” command with EEM. The problem I am running into is since the Backup command adds a date and 6 digit number, there is no unique values I can specify to overwrite.
How can I do something similar listed above with Backup and EEM.
Or should I do a daily running config backup using the existing EEM script and just do a Backup once a week?

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

you can add date and time, but look ASA do not have much like other IOS/ XE config

so for now you can doi daily basis with 7 days backup

increase your seconds  math is 24x60x60 = 86400

that runs every day.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card