Helpful
Replies

ASA access problem !!

cnrs-dsi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi evryone

Today we have a problem with our ASA.

We have tried to change some inspection values (H323). The asa tried to delete the values but cannot change them.

We says that maybe it's a Bug and log out.

Next logging, he says error 503. No asmd, no ssh but the firewall is still working.

We log by console and compare old and actual config.

The only diff is:

ASA# sh run | inc pager

couldn't open pager

The line "pager lines 24"  was replaced by "couldn't open pager".

We try to put the old line with no success. (no error message but "couldn't open manager" is still there)

Any idea ?

Thanks for your help

ASA#

ASA# sh pager

pager lines 24

ASA# sh run pager

couldn't open pager

ASA#

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm not sure about how to delete that invalid line of configuration. It should never had allowed that to be entered.

Re ASDM and ssh access, in addition to having the correct configuraiton lines you will need the ASDM binary file (in the location specified in the config) and an ssh rsa key. If either of those are not present, it will break the configured access method.

Check for the ASDM binary with a "dir" command.

Check for ssh key with "show crypto key mypubkey rsa"

Hi,

I think a reload should fix this issue.

There was this Defect:- CSCsw15334 which explains these symptoms.

We were not able to recreate this issue internally.

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

Vern Brinkman
Level 1
Level 1

I had this problem too.  It started about two months ago.

A customer was trying to use a port that is assigned to skinny for something else.   I was trying to find the solution and I lost remote access via ASDM (don't remember exactly what I was doing in ASDM but it wasn't inspection values).

I was able to console in once and did some show commands (I save all putty sessions to my hard drive).

I figured out that I may have to remove skinny from inspection so I consoled in again, did a "show policy-map", and then when I entered "policy-map global_policy" ,  then console stopped working.

So there is some similarity with the inspection values, but I lost ASDM before I started looking at inspection values (if I remember correctly - 99% sure because I remember reading this post thinking I was adjusting inspection.).

It worked fine for 2 months, but today the customer wanted to make changes, so we had to reboot it and everything is back to normal.

asa861-2-smp-k8.bin on a ASA5515.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card