Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA: ASDM does not show the logging within contexts

swscco001
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody,

our customer has a ASA5525 (OS: 9.12(4)30; ASDM: 7.16(1)150) and the ASDM does not show the logging within contexts. It just say "Syslog Connection Lost. Try restart the Syslog connection." (see attached ScreenDump).

The crazy fact is that when I login to the ASDM I land in the admin context and I see the logging (see attached ScreenDump). When I change to another context (CTX2) I don't see the logging outputs there. When I then go back to the admin context I don't see the logging in the admin context anymore too!

I think there is no mistake in the syslog configuration of context CTX2 and the syslog server can be pinged.

On the bootom line with the ASA status I found an icon and when I click on this a window appear that says the the syslog connection and the monitoring connection is disconnected (see attached ScreenDump).

I added an ACL enty (top position) that permits the syslog traffic from the syslog server on the interface DMZ-Netzdienste - no success.

A restart of the syslog within the ASDM did not solve the issue.

I have attached the running configs of the contexts and the system.

How can I test the syslog communication to determine if the reason is on the ASA or on the syslog server?

(I don't have access to the syslog server).

Every hint is welcome!

Thanks a lot!

Bye
R.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Well, it should be able to manage all previous versions of ASA, but downgrading ASDM is the least invasive first step I can think of.  Everything else would involve either reboot or upgrade of the ASA.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

According to the ASA compatibility matrix, ASA version 9.12(4) supports ASDM version 7.13.  So I suggest downgrading ASDM to 7.13 as a first step.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/compatibility/asamatrx.html#id_59423

--

Hi Marius,

thanks for the fast reply!

Hm, seems that I let me fool from the ASDM Software Download page that said that ASDM 7.16(1)150) is for ASA OS 9.8-9.16 (see attached). What do you think?

I will propose the downgrade to the customer and post the result then.

Thanks a lot!

Well, it should be able to manage all previous versions of ASA, but downgrading ASDM is the least invasive first step I can think of.  Everything else would involve either reboot or upgrade of the ASA.

--

Hi Marius,

the downgrade solved the issue.

Thanks lot!

Bye

R

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card