Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Azure firmware upgrade

simon lane
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have recently installed ASAv from Azure marketplace for the first time and am experiencing issues related to a potential bug in software version 9.17.1.

I need to downgrade to a previous known working version but cannot find any documents/guides on how best to achieve this in Azure.

I notice Cisco offer ASAv versions for Azure in software downloads(ending .bz2) along with the .bin versions

Can anyone link to a guide/document for how best to do this?

Or advise whether this can be done in the standard way uploading a new .bin file to flash and changing the boot path?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Simon

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i go with standard option copy bin file.

Note : suggest to take backup of the config out of the box and upgrade required reload to service will be effected.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

jamesholley
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, can you clarify the difference between the azure image version and the standard .bin option?

I would do it using the traditional way by uploading the interested .bin file, changing/adding the system boot variable and reload the firewall. One thing to keep in mind is that you might not find the current image in the flash, however, it could be in the root partition, but you can still upload the new .bin file to the flash as normal.

The .bz2 files are the compressed files that you would use if you want to deploy the firewall for the first time in Azure using a specific release rather than selecting one from those available via the dropdown menu in Azure.

Here is a link that explain the process to deploy a firewall using the .bz2 file, but this won't be applicable in your case:

Cisco Adaptive Security Virtual Appliance (ASAv) Getting Started Guide, 9.14 - Deploy the ASAv On the Microsoft Azure Cloud [Cisco Secure Firewall ASA Virtual] - Cisco

Thanks very much Aref, that answer is very reassuring and has given me confidence to carry out the work.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card