cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA changing ip address on name

whanson
Level 2
Level 2

customer has 8.0.5 and does not want to upgrade but is changing all ip addresses. Only giving me console access. I can see no easy way to do this because if I do a no name  to change a name then the ASA changes the reference say a nat statement to the ip address. Creating the name again with the new ip address does not change the nat. Is there a way to do that with CLI or am I stuck with redoing  the names and all references.

thx as always

2 Replies 2

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Can you clarify a bit on the whole situation? Is the customer changing ISP and is therefore changing all the Static NAT public IP addresses in the Static NAT configurations and therefore wants to change the "name x.x.x.x testname" to match the new IP addresses?

The "name" configurations and the Static NAT are not linked to eachother to my understanding.

You can just configure these name/IP pairs and use them to replace IP addresses on the CLI (and ASDM I'd imagine, I don't use it much).

I have personally found using the "name" configurations more problematic than usefull. So I usually first disable the use of them with "no names" but might leave the "name x.x.x.x testname" configurations on the ASA for later reference.

In the new softwares of 8.3 and above the "object network NAT" is actually a better way to implement somekind of IP to name mapping while keeping it somehow tolerable (for me personally atleast). Though as you said your customer wont want to upgrade the ASA.

- Jouni

You can do that the following way:

1) Do a "show run | inc NAME" where NAME is the name of the IP that will change.

2) Put all lines into an editor and search/replace the name against the new name.

3) Delete the old entries

4) paste in the updated commands from the editor

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card