Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA DHCP on Outside

jcalero
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm configuring a 5505 for a remote office.  Until they are assigned a static ip by the provider I will have to use the providers dhcp address. How do I construct an access list for the outside interface using the external address if I don't know it yet? is there a commnd that will insert the ip address in to the access list once one is assigned?

similar to #ip address dhcp setroute (for the default gateway)

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If it's the actual ASA outside interface, you can just configure the access-list line by itself for the outside interface.

And no, unfortunately, you can't use the object-group to group the ASA dynamic outside interface using "interface" keyword.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, just use the keyword "interface" if you are running ASA version 8.2 or lower...

Otherwise for 8.3 and higher, you just need to configure the real IP on the access-list.

Eg:

access-list outside-acl permit tcp any interface outside eq 80

Thanks I should have been a little more specific I kind of figured out I can use the interface outside but then I got stuck when trying to create a networkobject-group with network objects that have dhcp addresses.

object-group network TEST_OFFICE_PUBLIC_IP

network-object host 10.10.10.3

network-object host 10.10.10.4

Any idea what I would enter for portability in the ASA for the 10. address as it's dynamic?

Many thanks

No, if it's the host that are getting the DHCP/dynamic addresses, then there is nothing you can configure in the access-list as the ASA won't know which host it actually is.

not even if the network-object host is the outside interface?

If it's the actual ASA outside interface, you can just configure the access-list line by itself for the outside interface.

And no, unfortunately, you can't use the object-group to group the ASA dynamic outside interface using "interface" keyword.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card