Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Failover - Hostname issue

murilor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have failover configured between two ASA 5515. I am a bit rusty with ASA..years since I played with one.

Anyways, failover seems to be working ok. The only problem I have is that the failover unit keeps changing the name everytime I reboot the secondary unit but I also think every time it syncs.

I change the hostname to "B" on the standby unit and then after a while it changes again.

Is it a normal behaviour? PTOHLZFW01-A/stby/sec#

failover
failover lan unit primary
failover lan interface FailoverInt GigabitEthernet0/5
failover replication http
failover link FailoverInt GigabitEthernet0/5
failover interface ip FailoverInt 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.252 standby 1.1.1.2
no monitor-interface internet
no monitor-interface management

interface Management0/0
management-only
nameif management
security-level 100
ip address 10.130.28.88 255.255.255.0 standby 10.130.28.89
!
failover
failover lan unit secondary
failover lan interface FailoverInt GigabitEthernet0/5
failover replication http
failover link FailoverInt GigabitEthernet0/5
failover interface ip FailoverInt 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.252 standby 1.1.1.2
no monitor-interface internet
no monitor-interface management

interface Management0/0
management-only
nameif management
security-level 100
ip address 10.130.28.88 255.255.255.0 standby 10.130.28.89

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Aileron88
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This is the expected behaviour. The host name will sync but the prompt (stby in your case) will inform you of the units status. 

thanks 

View solution in original post

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey; 

That is normal. 

The configuration, including the hostname is replicated from the Active to the secondary.  So, if your primary is hostname ASA-1, the secondary will be too. 

The only way to know the role of each, would be using the prompt command (just like you are doing), but the hostname will be the same on both units. When you see it changes, it is because it did some sort of. config sync and got updated. There is no configuration meant to be done on the standby. 

Mike. 

Mike

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Aileron88
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This is the expected behaviour. The host name will sync but the prompt (stby in your case) will inform you of the units status. 

thanks 

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey; 

That is normal. 

The configuration, including the hostname is replicated from the Active to the secondary.  So, if your primary is hostname ASA-1, the secondary will be too. 

The only way to know the role of each, would be using the prompt command (just like you are doing), but the hostname will be the same on both units. When you see it changes, it is because it did some sort of. config sync and got updated. There is no configuration meant to be done on the standby. 

Mike. 

Mike
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card