cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA FIrewall, Stops communication from one server to the other even rules in place

Manas Das
Level 1
Level 1

I finally able solve a huge issue after three days after taking support of Cisco. 

I had a server 1 (10.33.206.11) placed in one of the interface on ASA (FWSM-6509) and another server 2 (10.33.193.140) in the inside zone directly connected through switch. I was not able to reach the server 1 in any way even all the rules are in place but i was able to reach that server through outside interface of firewall (It is not a internet facing firewall).

So cisco did run two commands

1. clear xlate

2. clear conn       and now the problem is solved.  wanna know the reason why was it happening?

5 Replies 5

Aditya Ganjoo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

It may be the reason that stale xlate (NAT) entries on the firewall would be causing the traffic to not get passed.

So in order to clear a stale NAT entry we use clear xlate and to clear an existing/stale  connection on the Firewall we use clear connection.

Hope it clears your doubt.

Regards,

Aditya

Please rate helpful posts.

Peter and Aditya, There is no NATing done on this Fiewall as I said this is not  internet facing firewall. its completely in intranet zone. The server 1 was accessible from the server placed and coming from outside interface but not from inside.

Even if there is no nat, nothing happens without a connection in the embryonic table, I often run clear xlate and clear conn one after the other, cause I know it will blat everything. 

Why did the engineer run clear xlate? cause he does it 40 times a day and its automatic.

Cool Peter, Thank you so much for the explanation. Will look into this.

Peter Long
Level 1
Level 1

You had an incorrect translation or connection that needed to be flushed form the firewalls cache

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card