cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA firmware updates/issues?

kerryjcox
Level 1
Level 1

I have some Cisco ASA 5520, 5510 and 5505 firewalls all running ASA version 8.2(1).  I am not anxious to invest the money in upgrading the RAM to meet the requirements for 8.3(x) or 8.4(x).  However, is there any compelling argument to upgrade to 8.2(4.1)?  I have read through the release notes and there are a few minor items that do affect us, but I am not seeing the compelling need to upgrade.

What about ASDM 6.2(1)?  I upgraded my home 5505 to 6.4(1) and it seems about the same.  Just wondering if I need to upgrade work as well. Not seeing anything on the release notes that give me a compelling reason to upgrade here as well.

Also, has anyone had any issues with Mac-users connecting to the AnyConnect client using more recent releases?  I seem to remember attmpting an upgrade last year but having to roll back as Mac users could no longer connect using AnyConnect.

Thanks in advance.

KJ

1 Reply 1

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi KJ,

In general, upgrading to maintenance or interim releases will only get you fixes for existing bugs. The same would apply to ASDM versions, though ASDM can be upgraded much quicker/easier since it doesn't require a reload of the firewall.

The release notes that you read are the best place to go to find out any new features or bug fixes that are integrated into a particular release.

-Mike

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card