Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA functional testing

ArekMusz01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I try to prepare a test plan to verify the functionality of new IOS ( also upgraded to a newer version ). I would like to test the ASA features before deploying the device into production.

Example:

L2 – ?

L3 – routing protocols ( ospf, rip, bgp), VRRP , NAT,

Mgmt – ASDM, access through ssh, tacacs/radius, local accounts,

I hope you got my point ? If anyone have any suggestion what I should test please share your minds.

Thank you in advance :)

A.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Well, normally in a product acceptance test, as you are suggesting, you would need to map out your requirements for the device and test those, since that is what you will be using it for.  For example, you would not be running an ASA in both tranparent mode (L2) and routed mode (L3) at the same time.

Based on your network needs you will have the necessary information to build your lab.

Some of the more common tests that I always do are the following:

Management

- SSH access

- ASDM access

- Console access

- TACACS+ / RADIUS authentication

- Local user authentication

- configuration via CPI (if required)

Logging

- logging to a syslog server

- logging SNMP traps

Routing

- static routes

- dynamic routes (you don't need to test them all, just the ones you will be using)

Traffic Filtering and Control

- Interface ACL

- NAT

I am sure there are a lot more that could be placed under each category and possibly a few subsection could be added.  But my main point is:  identify you network needs and write them down. Build you lab based on these needs.

--

Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

--

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Well, normally in a product acceptance test, as you are suggesting, you would need to map out your requirements for the device and test those, since that is what you will be using it for.  For example, you would not be running an ASA in both tranparent mode (L2) and routed mode (L3) at the same time.

Based on your network needs you will have the necessary information to build your lab.

Some of the more common tests that I always do are the following:

Management

- SSH access

- ASDM access

- Console access

- TACACS+ / RADIUS authentication

- Local user authentication

- configuration via CPI (if required)

Logging

- logging to a syslog server

- logging SNMP traps

Routing

- static routes

- dynamic routes (you don't need to test them all, just the ones you will be using)

Traffic Filtering and Control

- Interface ACL

- NAT

I am sure there are a lot more that could be placed under each category and possibly a few subsection could be added.  But my main point is:  identify you network needs and write them down. Build you lab based on these needs.

--

--

Cheers buddy.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card