Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Interface Security Level

aeryilmaz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm building a new ASA configuration with a dmz interaface and an inside interface.

dmz security-level 20

inside security-level 100

ASA ver 8.2(1)

I found that I can pass traffic from hosts off the dmz to hosts on the inside without having to define a static or identy-nat rule.

I've always thought that in order to get traffic to flow from a lower-level security interface to a high-level security interface you have to explicitly allow it.

Is that no longer the case?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need an acl to allow the traffic from the dmz to the inside hosts.

As for NAT you can disable NAT using "no nat-control" which then means you do need static NAT rules as you would have done on older versions.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need an acl to allow the traffic from the dmz to the inside hosts.

As for NAT you can disable NAT using "no nat-control" which then means you do need static NAT rules as you would have done on older versions.

Jon

Thanks for the info, Jon.

I did some futher testing and found that with nat-control Enabled, I need a static NAT to permit traffic to flow from "inside" to "dmz." With it disabled, traffic will flow from higher to lower without an interface ACL or NAT.

Also with nat-control disabled, I still need an ACL to allow traffic from dmz to inside but as you mention no NAT rules required.

Thanks again.

I was baffeled by the change in logic with security-levels.

No problem, glad to have helped and thanks for the rating.

I remember the first time i came across this issue, it confused me as well. I was so used to having to setup static NATs from lower to higher i actually thought it was bug in the firewall at first

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card