cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Ping command hangs when using "tab" key to finish interface name

John Hinckley
Level 1
Level 1

I've run into this problem multiple times and there seems to be no common denominator.  It happens on different versions, different ASA models (even ASAv), different networks, etc.

What happens is this, when I go to issue the ping command, when I start typing the interface name and I hit the TAB key to complete the name.  The ASA will hang at that point for up to a minute before filling in the interface name.  

ASA# ping ins___ <hit tab to finish the ifc name and it immediately freezes for up to a minute>

I've googled the heck out of this and I can't seem to find anyone else having this problem which seems crazy to me because it happens quite a bit (I'm in ASAs all day every day).  

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?  It's like it can't figure out the interface name or something and has to cycle through a timeout.  Very annoying.

TIA,

-John

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just a guess but if you just start ping and begin but don't complete an interface name the ASA may think you are about to specify an FQDN and does a lookup of the partial name when you hit tab. Only after it fails does it return cursor control to you.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

John Hinckley
Level 1
Level 1

Nobody out there has run into this problem??  I find it hard to believe since I run into it constantly and on different devices.  Can someone else looking at this at least confirm they have this problem too?  I'm starting to sound crazy. 

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just a guess but if you just start ping and begin but don't complete an interface name the ASA may think you are about to specify an FQDN and does a lookup of the partial name when you hit tab. Only after it fails does it return cursor control to you.

I could just scream right now that I never considered this before.  This is exactly the problem.  Now I can stop banging my face on the KB! =D

Thank you, Marvin.

-John

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card