Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA sla monitor configuration on unstable channel

Hi!

We have an ASA with 2 ISP's and sla monitor configured. And it works great if the first channel fully fails.
But in the case of packet loss on the first channel, we are getting the channel flapping.

sla monitor 1
type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 8.8.8.8 interface outside
num-packets 5
timeout 1000
frequency 60

So, if the ping process fails, we are going to the secondary channel.
But as I understand sla monitor operation, we are sending 5 packets to Google's public DNS with one second interval. So, if one of this packets pass, the channel considered as active and we are returning to the main channel.
How should we set up the ASA so that the first unstable channel doesn't cause channel flapping?
Is there a procedure to verify, that the main channel not only returned, but it's become stable?
May be is there a way to set the successful sla criteria as all-of-num-packets instead of one-of-num-packets?

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

maestro2be
Level 1
Level 1

Did you find a resolution to this?  I have even worked with TAC and they weren't able to provide a resolution.

I can't figure out if it expects 100% of all ICMP probes  to succeed or it will fail, or if it just needs some or 1 of those to succeed.  My gut feeling is it fails over the immediate second any of them are missed because it happens so severely some days.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card