cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA upgrade disables Gigabit

dcooke
Level 1
Level 1

I have just upgraded from ASA (with AIP-SSM base license) version 7.2 to version 8.2. All of the Gigabit interfaces in 7.2 were reset to 100 meg in 8.2 and it is not now possible to set them to Gigabit.

I have rolled the ASA back to 7.2 and it can now use Gigabit speed again.

I guess I need to know if 8.2 is supposed to disable Gigabit and if so why? Seems a bit strange that an upgrade would actually remove functionality? I can see no mention of this in the release notes.

Any ideas?

3 Replies 3

guibarati
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, acctually this feature was supposed to be in 7.3, but anyway.. you are getting it in 7.2

Well that is true in ASA 5510 there is an specific version that enable two 1Gb interfaces.

If you change version, even with UPgrade you loose this.

Kevin Redmon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I can't remember the versions or the exact scenario, but I do recall seeing the actual speed as given by 'show interface', watching the speed/duplex settings, not quite matching the interface name - FastEthernet versus GigabitEthernet.

Please confirm which information you actually saw - was the speed/duplex incorrect or simply the interface name.

Cisco are currently saying this is a bug! Gigabit wasn't supposed to be available in 7.2(3) base license - but it was. This "issue" was fixed in release 8.0(4) - (CSCsl53995 -

5510 interface can be set to 1000Mbps with base license).

Crazy. So the upgrade actually limits the speed!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: