cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA vs FTD (license)

me77
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA 5506-X K9 (not the Sec-Bun) with a Control license. Is this enough to do anything at all with FTD, like manage the ASA function? I'm pretty sure I'd need additional licenses to do anything else.

Also, is there a process to reimage back from FTD back to the standard ASA boot? I currently have the FTD boot image installed, so when I reload it comes into the FTD boot image - but I'm not sure that I want to install the FTD system software and lose everything on Disk0. (Especially if it required a license that I don't have.)

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The control licence will get you basic FTD functionality.

Yse you can image back to ASA from FTD.

Just to add, the control license cannot be converted to Smart licensing, and I was informed by Cisco licensing support that more than a basic control license is needed to use FTD. Since I already installed FTD my only option is to do a 90-day trial license (because I do not have an FTD license.) 

After which time, I will be converting back to regular ASA.

The control license is enough to run standard regular ASA.

"Threat" is the base license on FTD images. It is analogous to Control plus the IPS subscription combined for the Firepower service module. There is no "equivalent-to-Control" free license on FTD - just the trial as you noted.

@Philip D'Ath wrote:

The control licence will get you basic FTD functionality.

Yse you can image back to ASA from FTD.

Hi,

Please am hardly looking for the steps to image back from FTD image to ASA image,

Any one to help me please.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card