Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA with FirePower service on Hyper-V

Juraj Ban
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

One of our customers is 100% on Hyper-V and FirePower only supports VMWare?

From Internet: The FireSIGHT management system is deployed from a VMware template file in your virtual environment (no Hyper-V support just yet).

Can FirePower be run inside Hyper-V or? How do you solve this problem when customer does not have VMware?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can deploy the FireSIGHT Management Center as a hardware appliance if you don't have Vmware.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

You can deploy the FireSIGHT Management Center as a hardware appliance if you don't have Vmware.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've also had customers deploy on a spare physical server using the free no frills version of VMware ESXi. The requirements for the VM aren't very much and many customers may have a spare server sitting around that fits the bill.

The smaller ASAs (5506, 5508, 5516) can be managed completely via ASDM and not use FMC. I'm not a fan of that personally since it leaves too much to chance unless the customer has a host dedicated to  ASDM that they are going to keep running 24-7 just for that.

Hello,

The info in this post is 8 months old as I write this.  Has there been any update on Hyper-V support?  Maybe a technique or procedure to get the FMC VM to run on Hyper-V?  I was able to get the CDA agent to run on Hyper-V with minimal amount of hacking.  Maybe somebody has done something similar with FMC?

Thanks,

Diego

No news in that regard.

We do now have the option of virtual sensors in AWS, but that's about it as far as new virtualization platform support.

Wow, how disappointing.  Hyper-V supports many Linux flavors so I wonder why such reluctance to support it?

Thank you. 

Still no HyperV support :(

Seems strange that they can't support Hyper-V, this would be a perfect solution for us.

It is a backwards way of doing it but you could try and run ESXi server on a HyperV server and then run the Firepower Manager on it that way.  This is something I am going to work on over the next few days.  The old physical box I had running ESXi server died yesterday and everything else we have is HyperV.  So I'm going to give this a try.

http://thesolving.com/virtualization/install-vmware-esxi-hyper-v/

2021 and STILL no Official FMC on HyperV

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvm94701/?rfs=iqvred

However, FMC is available on Azure...so potentially a way to 'trick' FMC to thinking it is on Azure platform when actually installing on HyperV?

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-security/vfmc-on-hyperv-are-we-there-yet/m-p/3779719

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card