Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5505 User Licence Limit

01Boxer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Hoping I can get confirmation on the following, please?

An ASA5505 with 50 user licence, showed 52 inside arp entries, but the show local-host shows "Current host count: 29, towards licensed host limit of: 50". However, when the arp entries hit 52 internet access was lost, and the ASA has to be reloaded. The Cisco docs I've read say the licence limit is displayed with the show local-hosts command, however Google shows a combination of answers between show local -hosts and show arp.

Also, I though that when the licence limit is reached that the oldest host is blocked to allow the newest on, is this the case, or are all hosts blocked?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Pranay Prasoon
Level 3
Level 3

Arp entry has nothing to do with the host count. The license will be only counted when total host connection is 50. Yes the arp count will give the hint of how many host might be running through firewall but it may be a case where ASA has 50 arp entry but no connection from host.

When license count exceeds any new connection won't be allowed but it won't terminate old connections. You will receive syslog 450001.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Pranay Prasoon
Level 3
Level 3

Arp entry has nothing to do with the host count. The license will be only counted when total host connection is 50. Yes the arp count will give the hint of how many host might be running through firewall but it may be a case where ASA has 50 arp entry but no connection from host.

When license count exceeds any new connection won't be allowed but it won't terminate old connections. You will receive syslog 450001.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: