cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASAs and backing up config on an ftp server

spfister336
Level 2
Level 2

We are switching to an ftp server to replace an ancient tftp server to backup our configs to. Most of our switches are set up to write to this new ftp server, but I'm having some trouble with our ASAs.

I can't seem to figure a way to write the config to the ftp server using ASDM. Is there a way to do that?

I can see how to do it from the CLI, but I seem to be having some trouble with an @ sign in the password. Is there any way to make that work, or will we need to change the ftp password?

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I can't seem to figure a way to write the config to the ftp server using ASDM. Is there a way to do that?

You can only do it locally, if the FTP drive is mapped on your PC you can do that save to FTP directory, if not i will suggest another method to back from cli automatically.

If you looking Auto backup -use EEM Script Does easy :

Example :

event manager applet ASA_Backup
event timer absolute time 00:10:00
action 1.0 cli command "copy /noconfirm running-config ftp://[user[:password]@]server[/path]/dst_filename.cfg;int=inside"
output none

if you like syslog message :

syslog msg "ASA config success "

ASA syntax from command level :

Copy to an FTP server:

copy [/noconfirm] [interface_name] {startup-config | running-config} ftp://[user[:password]@]server[/path]/dst_filename

Example:

ciscoasa# copy startup-config ftp://jcrichton:aeryn@10.1.1.67/files/new-startup.cfg

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

are you aware of a way to hash the password when using the action command?  we do want our configs saved somewhere with plain text passwords

spfister336
Level 2
Level 2

Thank you for your reply, but I'm still a little confused.

1. ASDM has a menu option "Save Running Configuration to TFTP server....". ASDM has no equivalent for FTP, correct?

2. I know the syntax for copying to ftp on the command line, but the ftp password has an '@' sign in the middle of it. This seems to cause issues with that syntax. Is there a workaround, or do we need a different password?

1- not that i am aware FTP available.

2. if the password has @ (or any special character, then that is bug (dont have in hand) change the password and test.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I don't think ASDM provides copying the running configs to an FTP server. The reason why the @ character is giving issue in this case is because the copy command relies on the @ to divide the creds from the IP address, so if you want to use the whole copy command you might need to change the password or create a new account with a password that doesn't include the @. You would run into the same issue even if you try with scp I think.

Maybe you can try to use the command "copy run ftp:" and then you hit enter, and you fill in the details of the remote FTP server line by line?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card