cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASAv Code Upgrade - Which Image

j.a.m.e.s
Level 3
Level 3

Could anyone tell me which image I need to download to upgrade the code on an ASAv running on VMWare please?

There is a .bin file available via CCO, but it's labelled "Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software for the ASA 5525-X, 5545-X, and 5555-X."

The other option is a .zip file "Cisco Adaptive Security Virtual Appliance VMWare Package for the Cisco ASAv Virtual Firewall" but this would need to be deployed as a new VM.

The upgrade guide doesn't mention which image, it just refers to a .bin file. Surprisingly it also doesn't mention taking a snapshot.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

disk0: (and disk1: where available) is just an alias to another destination (or the other way round). With the command

show bootvar

you can see where the actual boot-image is located. Typically you can use the

boot system FILENAME

without a location and the system will automatically append the right location.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

You can use the .bin-file and update the ASAv the "normal" way through ASDM or by copying it to flash from CLI and setting the boot image.

Thank you Karsten for confirming the ASA-55xx-X bin file is the right file for an ASAv image upgrade.

One other surprise is that I can see the image applied via the VMWare installation under boot:/ but the upgrade guide asks us to copy the new .bin file and set the boot variable to disk0:/

asa-v-vmware# dir boot:/

Directory of boot:/

120    -rwx  109707264    05:29:24 Apr 16 2021  asa9xxx-xx-smp-k8.bin <- current image booting up
121    -rwx  35741420     05:29:24 Apr 16 2021  asdm-xxxxx.bin
122    -rwx  68684656     05:29:24 Apr 16 2021  asa-restapi-xxxxx-lfbff-k8.SPA

3 file(s) total size: 214133340 bytes
534495232 bytes total (320200704 bytes free/59% free)

asa-v-vmware# sho run boot system
asa-v-vmware# <- nothing is set as boot variable

Is disk0: the right location for the updated image, and where/when would boot: get used?

Thank you

disk0: (and disk1: where available) is just an alias to another destination (or the other way round). With the command

show bootvar

you can see where the actual boot-image is located. Typically you can use the

boot system FILENAME

without a location and the system will automatically append the right location.

j.a.m.e.s
Level 3
Level 3

Thank you @Karsten Iwen. I've completed my upgrade and your advice around the .bin file and boot location was sound.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card