cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM does not start

Patrick Jonsson
Level 1
Level 1

Problem: ASDM Launcher does not start. I don't even get the ASDM Launcher login box or an error message. Nothing happens. When I look in Task Manager when trying to execute ASDM Launcher, I can see that "Java(TM) Plattform SE binary" (see screen shot below) starts and silently quits. No error messages are given.

Java.jpg

I use the following software:

Windows 10 build 16299.492

Java 10.0.1 (x86_64)

Java 1.8.0_171 (x86)

Cisco ASDM-IDM Launcher 1.7.00

Java installed.jpg

I've uninstalled and installed both Java and ASDM IDM-Launcher several times and rebooted the computer, but with no success. It simply won't start!

In the Java Control Panel, I've also chosen Debugging "All" and Java Console "Show console" in hope of getting some error output but none so far (in case output is not written silently to some log file I don't know about).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I compared with another Windows 10 computer and uninstalled Java 10, then it worked.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

aint Java a drag.

verify compatibility:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asdm/7_8/release/notes/rn78.html#id_25476

not sure of your ASDM version there should be like 7.x

i typically use IE and browse to IP of ASA to install the plugin.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

I compared with another Windows 10 computer and uninstalled Java 10, then it worked.

I had the same problem, and found the same fix - remove Java 10 and return to Java 8.  Reinstalled Java 10 and ASDM went back to not launching.  After confirming that was the issue, I came up with a workaround.  I copied the Java 8 version of javaw.exe (for my version of Java 8 - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\bin) into the same directory with ASDM (C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\ASDM).  That resolved the problem and let me keep Java 10 as my primary version of Java.  Note that you would have had to previously install Java 8 for this to work.

best solution so far

Thanks very much. It worked like a charm. Cisco ASDM 7.8 (1) 150 with Java 8 update 241

Your solution is spot on and solved the problem for me as well. Thank you for your contribution.

pri5605527206
Level 1
Level 1

I was facing the same issue.  Found out the Windows 10 changed the shortcut properties. 

If this persists on the Windows machine please follow the below steps, It works for me. 

• Choose Start > Cisco ASDM-IDM Launcher, and right-click the Cisco ASDM-IDM Launcher application.

• Choose More > Open file location.

Windows opens the directory with the shortcut icon.

• Right-click the shortcut icon, and choose Properties.

• Change the Target to:

C:\Windows\System32\wscript.exe invisible.vbs run.bat

• Click OK

Supporting JAVA version 8. 

Thanks!

Thank you for this. This was my issue. 

I tried uninstall/install and modified the shortcut as described above. Launching ASDM and followed by username/pw and OK, ASDM connects to the firewall, goes through loading cached software, and then hangs with busy icon forever.

Any advice on how to get this working?

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card