cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM high CPU on Windows independent of ASDM version and Java Version

NeverOutofTune
Level 1
Level 1

My Windows 10 workstation has high CPU (> 50%) with the ASDM Java application. I tried various versions of ASDM on multiple ASAs and various versions of Java from 7.x to 8.x without success.

Not much came up on a  search but I did come across a post (lost the reference) that had a side note about this issue.   The side note stated to delete the

C:\Users\<username>\.asdm

folder to alleviate high CPU.  This solved the issue for me and I wanted to share this information as a top-level post for future searches.

9 Replies 9

ilukeberry
Level 1
Level 1

Yep had the same problem :D it's working fine now! thanks for this trick! :)

Florin Barhala
Level 6
Level 6
Couple mentions:
1. Close ASDM
2. Delete the mentioned folder ! Warning: this action will clear any saved ASDM sessions
3. Start ASDM and goodluck adding each and every Firewall IP address and login username.
4. CPU usage should go lower - TBD in the upcoming days.

if you dont want to lose history leave .asdm/cache alone and delete everything else, worked for me.

ilukeberry
Level 1
Level 1

Meh after second login the CPU usage is high again and I need to delete .asdm folder again... FIX THIS CISCO!!!!

FlorianCokl
Level 1
Level 1

Fantastic! And it works with OSX as well. Just removed the ~/.asdm folder - done.

Problem occured for me on Kubuntu 18.04, ASDM used only one core (out of 12) on i7-8700 CPU, and always stuck on 100%. CPU temp went up when running 2-3 parallel ASDM sessions, causing CPU fan to get really loud, which got my attention... Deleting .asdm folder in current Linux user's home folder helped resolve the issue.

Thank you, I have tried this on my OSX machine and it works!  No more over 100% CPU, down to 12%!!

dusanm011
Level 1
Level 1

Had same problem. This solved high CPU usage. Thank you! 

DaSpadeR
Level 1
Level 1

This also fixes high GPU usage in ASDM as reported by task manager in Windows 10 1903. I was running 60-70% GPU, even tried a 'bigger' GPU card. All better, thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card