cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM high CPU on Windows independent of ASDM version and Java Version

NeverOutofTune
Level 1
Level 1

My Windows 10 workstation has high CPU (> 50%) with the ASDM Java application. I tried various versions of ASDM on multiple ASAs and various versions of Java from 7.x to 8.x without success.

Not much came up on a  search but I did come across a post (lost the reference) that had a side note about this issue.   The side note stated to delete the

C:\Users\<username>\.asdm

folder to alleviate high CPU.  This solved the issue for me and I wanted to share this information as a top-level post for future searches.

9 Replies 9

ilukeberry
Level 1
Level 1

Yep had the same problem :D it's working fine now! thanks for this trick! :)

Florin Barhala
Level 6
Level 6
Couple mentions:
1. Close ASDM
2. Delete the mentioned folder ! Warning: this action will clear any saved ASDM sessions
3. Start ASDM and goodluck adding each and every Firewall IP address and login username.
4. CPU usage should go lower - TBD in the upcoming days.

if you dont want to lose history leave .asdm/cache alone and delete everything else, worked for me.

ilukeberry
Level 1
Level 1

Meh after second login the CPU usage is high again and I need to delete .asdm folder again... FIX THIS CISCO!!!!

FlorianCokl
Level 1
Level 1

Fantastic! And it works with OSX as well. Just removed the ~/.asdm folder - done.

Problem occured for me on Kubuntu 18.04, ASDM used only one core (out of 12) on i7-8700 CPU, and always stuck on 100%. CPU temp went up when running 2-3 parallel ASDM sessions, causing CPU fan to get really loud, which got my attention... Deleting .asdm folder in current Linux user's home folder helped resolve the issue.

Thank you, I have tried this on my OSX machine and it works!  No more over 100% CPU, down to 12%!!

dusanm011
Level 1
Level 1

Had same problem. This solved high CPU usage. Thank you! 

DaSpadeR
Level 1
Level 1

This also fixes high GPU usage in ASDM as reported by task manager in Windows 10 1903. I was running 60-70% GPU, even tried a 'bigger' GPU card. All better, thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card