cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Azure FTDv first time login problem

sphbecker1
Level 1
Level 1

I am pretty new to FTD so they may be a dumb question. I want to setup a FTDv in Azure. I don't have an FMC so I chose the market option to not register with an FMC. The VM deployed as expected, but I have no idea what my next step is.

The management interface allows SSH login, but it takes me to a linux $ prompt and it isn't clear what to do next. Typing ifconfig shows the 4 Ethernet interfaces have the expected IP addresses. None of the interfaces allow a HTTPS connection.

I have several physical FTD devices and they have a built-in GUI interface when not connected to an FMC. I was under the impression the FTDv would as well. Is there something I am missing, or does the FTDv only work with an FMC?

9 Replies 9

Tyson Joachims
Spotlight
Spotlight

when you powered on the VM, were you given a long EULA followed by several questions including what IP address, subnet mask, etc to setup the device? If not, try typing "connect ftd" and see if that gets you there. If you did, then open a web browser and go to the IP address that you configured during the initial setup. Remember to add "https://" to the front of it.

As I said before, I already know all of the IP addresses, but none of them have https:// open.

I tried typing the command you mentioned and it does not work (again, I am at a Cisco Fire Linux OS prompt)

Cisco Fire Linux OS v6.7.0 (build 62)
Cisco Firepower Threat Defense for Azure v6.7.0 (build 65)

scuciscoftdv:~$ connect ftd
-sh: connect: command not found

Tyson Joachims
Spotlight
Spotlight

what happens when you type "exit"? I would expect the following:

scuciscoftdv:~$ exit
>

If you do get the greater than symbol, try the following command and see if you get the same output

> show managers
Managed locally.

Let me know what you find. Thanks

Typing exit closes the session, I can reconnect and log back in, but I get the same linux prompt.

This is a guess, but it is acting like the FTD software isn't starting, like I am only getting the underlying linux OS.

I was wondering if there was a linux command I am expected to issue to start some kind of first time setup process.

One more clue, I have a FTD 1010 in my lab, I watched it boot via the console, noticed the following...

Starting Cisco Firepower 1010 Threat Defense, please wait...No PM running!
...started.
Cisco FTD initialization finished successfully.

Every console readout after that looked like a FTD alert instead of a linux alert, and pressing ENTER brings up a FTD login prompt.

In contrast on the FTDv (watching via Azure's virtual console feature)

Starting Cisco Firepower Threat Defense for Azure, please wait...No PM running!
...started.
<skipping some unrelated output> WARNING: Attribute already exists in the dictionary. Failed to enable checksum capability

Never got "Cisco FTD initialization finished successfully" just drops me to a linux login prompt. So it seems like FTD is failing to initialize.

I think my best bet at this point is to blow away the VM and try again. I will report back if I get different results on the new VM.

sphbecker1
Level 1
Level 1

Redeployed the VM and got the exact same results. I reread the description and it does look like this requires some kind of management solution. I guess it doesn't support local administration.

na

Arashai
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is an old thread, but I had the same symptoms and was able to find a solution.

After connecting to the vFTD with SSH I used 'su admin' with the default password 'Admin123' where it gave me the first time set up wizard.  After going through that, I was able to use 'connect manager ...' and add it into the FMC.

Tested with Version 7.0.1

oh, boy, very helpful, thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card