cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Over subscription

keithcclark71
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all I have a local ISP stating packet loss is due to customer oversubscribing the circuit. When I run continuous pings I see individual drops or packets here n there not like big blocks of request time outs or anything like that.

The Provider says the following. I have no clue how to configure this or if the provider is just passing the buck rather than doing an intrusive circuit test. How would I go about this ? The network has soft phones on same subnet so I dont know how i'd QOS that as im not real good with voice stuff and not sure if soft phones QOS is same had having physical phones for QOS purposes?

Spectrum recommends that a Bandwidth/Traffic Shaper is set up for 50 megabits per second on your firewall/routing device with QOS (Quality of Service). A Bandwidth/Traffic Shape will prevent you network from passing us more than 50 megabits per second, thus preventing pack loss/drops. QOS will set priority to services that you deem the most important and will go out first versus in the order it was sent/received.

2 Replies 2

Herald Sison
Level 3
Level 3

Did your ISP provided you access to MRTG webUI? From there you can definitley see how heavy is your circuit usage.

Thanks Herald but ISP does not provide me with any visibility whatsoever into anything with the fibre circuit. I went ahead and created a service policy traffic shaping the bandwidth and then ran ping from outside interface to 8.8.8.8 which showed packets being dropped. I then ran another ping from outside interface to the ISP adtran which showed 0 packets loss so the issue is them

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card