cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic Smartnet Support Contract for ASA 5505 (just to obtain updates)

Hi, we purchased an ASA 5505 firewalls (second hand) and wish to get the most basic support plan that just allows us to get software and ADSM updates. 

Can you please let me know the product code for basic yearly support?

Thanks

Michelle

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Assuming the ASA isn't black market, you would need

CON-SNT-AS5K8
SNTC-8X5XNBD ASA5505-K8
Duration: 12 Month(s)

List price US$71 per year.

View solution in original post

You're welcome. Please mark your question as answered if it has been.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Assuming the ASA isn't black market, you would need

CON-SNT-AS5K8
SNTC-8X5XNBD ASA5505-K8
Duration: 12 Month(s)

List price US$71 per year.

Thank you Marvin.

You're welcome. Please mark your question as answered if it has been.

I'm having a difficult time finding a reseller who has the support (CON-SNT-AS5K8) support in stock. 

I'm in Canada... does anyone know where I purchase this? Thanks!

It's not really an item that one has "in stock". It's a support contract entitlement.

You buy it and then get a contract number which you can associate with your cisco.com id, entitling your to downloads and opening support cases with TAC for your appliance.

Any reputable partner that does direct sales should be able to get it for you.

CDW:

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Cisco-SMARTnet-extended-service-agreement/1493541.aspx?enkwrd=CON-SNT-AS5K8&pfm=srh

IT Help (web site even offers pricing in CAN$)

https://www.ithsc.com/ciscohardwaremaintenance/SMARTnet-8x5xNBD-CON-SNT-AS5K8-153-p-21232.html

Thanks Marvin... I understand which is why I'm puzzled why the online stores I've checked seem to think its a package that has to be delivered to me via the mail, and not provding me a contract number. They must not be familiar with how the support contracts work.

I'll try ithsc.com.

Indeed - smaller resellers may be confused that way.

I work for a Cisco Gold partner (albeit the engineering side) but I know how I build bills of material and how our sales guys quote and fulfill them; so I speak from that perspective.

Good luck getting what you're looking for.

Thanks Marvin, I just ordered from ITSC using your link. 

ITSC asked me for the serial number and "Name of Supplier".   Therefore, this was not purchased new from a supplier.

This ASA  was purchased used from a business near where I live and  they definitely had support on it prior to me purchasing it (it shows past support on that SN when I added it to my cisco.com profile).

I assume this purchase would not be viewed as black market by Cisco (buying used), provided the place I got it from purchased it from an authorized reseller.

I'm getting a bit frustrated in the delays trying to get support for the ASA5505. I purchased the CON-SNT-AS5K8 support. I confirmed with ithsc.com giving them the serial number and product ID for the ASA5505 and they said CON-SNT-AS5K8 was correct.

That was last week... in trying to find out what the delay is, now I'm told the support CON-SNT-AS5K8 is not correct for the ASA5505 model I have (based on serial number).

This platform has a Base license.
Serial Number: JMX153940CY

All I want is software update download privileges for the device manager and appliance software. 

I'm trying hard to give Cisco my money, but I'm having one hoop after another.

Update, 

Basically I think the situation is such that if you happen to purchase an ASA5505, for home use (which has some validity if you need the functionality), be sure to purchase an ASA with few features and only 10 users otherwise the SMARTNET will be ridiculously cost prohibitive even if you just want just the software download rights for ASDM and Cisco OS updates (appliance software) without any need for an CISCO technical support.

The silly thing is, the above software is the same on all the ASA5505 regardless of product ID. There is no additional cost to CISCO if you just purchase the software download access, and no tech support.

So if anyone assumes you can just get the $71/year software support for your ASA5505, make sure you have the low end ASA5505 model, because the support links directly to the serial number, and if that serial number is a model with more features, or more users, you can't use the $71 support license.

Update:  ithsc.com - while they seem to have been around awhile, I'm nervous about this place.

I had purchased a CON-SNT-AS5K8 x 3 year support  (about $190) from ithsc.com on Aug 11th, but was told it would not match my ASA serial number.  

Since that date I've been trying to get them to issue refund (or let me get the right support for my ASA) from ithsc.com and they haven't been very responsivevia emails. I tried their telephone listed on their website but it doesn't work 813-421-2951.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card